Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Blog of One's Own




I had no idea that life would have turned out for the better after I moved to Fargo, North Dakota.  Two summers ago when I was packing my bags and my cat Charlotte into my tired old Ford Explorer, I felt like a complete failure.  Life after college seemed so difficult, and I really felt lost in translation.  A recent University of Arkansas graduate in Anthropology and Music, I felt like my collegiate career did not evaluate into much more than a high school diploma.  What was I supposed to do?  I could do everything and nothing at the same time.  My best friend and Mom wanted me home, but somehow I couldn't imagine going to Fargo...a place which I, then, dreaded.  "You need to come home and have a fresh start" which then meant failure.  Now, I know that my fresh start was just what I needed.

I am now in finance.  Me?!  I define myself as an Anthropologist, an avid shopper, and musician, so what better way to go into the workforce, then starting from scratch and becoming a bank teller!  And I am a pretty darn good AND educated bank teller.  At least I have interesting stories about my studies!  I have spouted off bits of Italian to customers, talked about conspicuous consumption, edited my co-workers Sociology papers, recited the Swahili numbers system, and found a love of country music all the while being myself and working for a financial institution.  Maybe analyzing Bach's Fugues and the countless hours of studying music theory with Nastassja finally paid off??  I now can count money quickly.  HAHA!

I think the people of Fargo, North Dakota are genuinely the nicest people I have ever met.  I think one has to be because of the long, cold winters.  Not to say that I don't miss Southern hospitality, but the refreshing atmosphere and hard working people of this state is something to definitely aspire to.  With this said, I am starting up a blog in attempt to try something new.  

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Soooo happy that you're bloggin' now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This is wonderful news, I'm so excited to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ames, just loved it! You are such an adorable girl/woman/person... and oh so witty to boot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you have ever watched Cheers... but you would be Diane... so classy, educated and witty.. always spounting off some foreign language and amazing quotes and poems to all your customers...haha I love it! side note..I Love the way you write..

    ReplyDelete